ID Card Dimensions for Layout & Artwork
— General Card Layout Dimensions —
The Standard ID card size is referred to by the international standard definition “CR80″. The official size for the most common ID card was codified by the International Organization for Standards (ISO) in the specification document ISO 7810 (Identification Cards-Physical Characteristics).
The dimensions were defined as:
• 3.375 inches wide
• 2.125 inches high
The most common card thickness is 0.030 inches (“30 mil”). This size encompasses all financial cards (“credit cards”) and most other common cards which conveniently fit in a wallet or badge-holder.
- Card Dimensions: 3 3/8″ x 2 1/8 (85.6mm x 54mm)
- Card Thickness: 30mil
If you plan to have a slot punch on your employee ID badge, please allow 3/8″ from the edge to the bottom of the slot punch on your card layout.
— ID Card Artwork —
Full card artwork dimensions
must be either
– 3 3/8″ x 2 1/8” (with no bleed) or
– 3 1/2″ x 2 1/4” (with 1/8” bleed) – do not include crop marks
- In pixels, full card dimensions are: 1013px x 638px (at 300 dpi)
- For full-card artwork, separate files should be submitted for front and back
- In addition, to allow our designers to correctly set up the variable data merge parameters, please submit two separate .jpg files:
Graphic Elements (logos, shields/emblems, symbols, etc.)
- High resolution .jpg files is the best format to submit card artwork
- Color separation: RGB
- Minimum resolution must be 300 dpi, but 600 dpi is preferable (at 100%)
- Logos and graphics may be submitted in the following file types: .jpg, .png or .pdf
– an example of the final layout, including sample photo, name, and all variable fields, and
– just the fixed background, without any variable fields.
This will allow a clear understanding of your requested card layout.
- Any specific fonts required should be specified; uncommon fonts must be provided.
- Please be aware that a few non-standard fonts may not render exactly as expected, due to printer limitations.
— SmartCard Technology Design Guidlines —
InstantCard specializes in smartcard technologies, and can help you achieve the security and reliability which comes with the implementation of smart cards in your ID card program. For more information on smartcard technology, click here.
As you plan the layout of your smart ID cards, here are the key dimensions of the chip placement to keep in mind during template design. If you have any questions whatsoever about artwork layout, please don’t hesitate to speak with one of our specialists about smart card printing.